Your potential customers consume hundreds of pieces of content every day. People spend about seven hours a day online. Can you imagine all of the information they see? Your goal is for your content to be one of those chosen pieces and be memorable enough to make them want to move forward with your relationship. Creating a positive content experience results in potential customers enjoying their engagement with your brand and wanting to do business with you.
What is a Content Experience?
A content experience is how people consume and interact with your brand’s content. A good content experience is like a teacher or a friend giving the viewer advice. It’s non-invasive, friendly, and gives them the information they need and trust.
Components of content experience include:
- User Experience. All the interactions someone has with your digital content are part of their content experience. It starts from the moment they click on your website. How quickly did it load? Did it take them to another tab they weren’t expecting? Is there an “invisible hand” that guides them through your website and anticipates their next steps? The more positive and seamless their user experience with your content, the better.
- Presentation. How you present your content matters. You want your website, blog, email newsletters, and social media sites to reflect your brand voice in every way, including being well-organized and visually appealing.
- Structure. Your content’s structure impacts how likely someone is to read it. Does it read like an instruction manual or a friendly conversation between friends? How quickly does it get to the point or answer the customer’s question? Remember, the time and attention of your customers are valuable. Make sure this is reflected in your content by writing for the web.
- Impact. How does your content make your customer feel? Does it anger them? Empower them? Does it drive them to action? Having a clear goal of how you want to make your customer feel will make your content more impactful.
The Importance of a Positive Content Experience
If you already have stellar content, does it matter if your customer has a good experience with your content? After all, Google will send people to look at great content, right? Yes, it matters. It matters a lot.
Content experience makes a difference by:
- Encouraging Engagement. A good content experience makes your customers feel engaged and invites them to take action.
- Attracting Customers. Your content should serve to engage both newcomers and loyal customers alike. Keep this in mind as you write.
- Increasing Customer Retention. It’s always easier to retain repeat customers than to attract new ones. It requires fewer resources and helps you create a loyal customer base as well.
- Streamlining the Buyer Journey. Instead of letting potential customers find you on their own, you could engage with them consistently so you’re already on their minds. Otherwise, you’re leaving your engagement up to chance. Content marketing should support the buyer’s journey.
- Building Trust. A personalized and consistent content experience lends credibility to your brand — the importance of building brand authority can’t be overstated.
Creating a Positive Content Experience for Your Potential Customers?
Now that you understand the importance of a positive content experience and why you want to provide it, how can you make it happen? We have some ideas!
To create a positive content experience:
- Make Content Personal. We already mentioned this earlier, but it’s worth repeating: it’s always important to remember who your target audience is. Are they industry experts or newcomers? Are they considering your product or service for their home or their business? Make sure to reflect this in how you write your content.
- Encourage Action. Everything we’ve discussed earlier is useless if the customer doesn’t know what step to take next. Make sure to include a call to action, whether booking a consultation with you, subscribing to your newsletter, or simply visiting your website to learn more.
- Keep Content Relevant. It’s vital that you keep up to date with industry news, changes to regulations, and so on. This information further inspires trust in your customers because they know you do your research. In a world that seems to constantly be changing, customers want to work with businesses that are keeping up and paying attention.
- Produce Engaging Content. Create content that stands out. Highlight the pieces of your product or service that set you apart and use that to create memorable content. Think: What problem do our viewers have? How does our product or service solve it?
- Align Content with Brand Voice. Consistency across platforms and alignment with your brand voice are vital to creating memorable content. Creating a strong brand voice takes millions of little interactions with customers, so each piece you release should help illustrate your company’s purpose.
Take the Next Steps
Now that you have a basic understanding of creating a positive content experience, you should feel confident and empowered to evaluate your own content and see where you can improve it. As always, Content Journey is here to help you along the way. Contact us, and let’s get to work creating a memorable and positive content experience for your potential customers.