We love learning here at Content Journey. So much so that we have difficulty naming all the podcasts we listen to and love. I mean, what’s better than learning from industry experts while you drive, exercise, or do chores? In celebration of International Podcast Day tomorrow, here are our recommendations for the best marketing podcasts.
Why Listen to Podcasts?
Before we dive into our list of recommendations, let’s chat about why you should listen to podcasts. We referenced the convenience factor above, which is one of the things people love about the medium. You can learn from experts while you do other things. But it’s not the only benefit.
Benefits of listening to podcasts include:
- Learning. You can learn something new on just about any podcast you listen to. We’ve learned so many things about marketing, leadership, and everything in between from our favorite podcasts.
- Productivity. If you have to be in the car or vacuum the floor, why not use that time even better?
- Inspiration. The biggest downfall of listening to podcasts is that you’ll get a ton of ideas or hear something you want to write down and have to stop what you’re doing to document things before you forget. All of that inspiration alone makes podcasts worthwhile.
- Entertainment. Podcasts don’t have to be all about serious stuff. They also are super entertaining. They’ll make you laugh and relate to the speaker.
Podcasts work like any other media outlet to inform and entertain you. Why not add them to the mix when convenient? Also, consider how others use podcasts.
Stats about podcasts:
- There are 2.4 million podcasts on just about any topic you can imagine, with comedy coming in No. 1 on the list of most popular podcast genres.
- More than 400 million people listen to podcasts, with the majority of them in the United States.
- Most people listen to podcasts just like we do — at home while doing chores, cooking, or getting ready for the day.
- People listen to an average of 11 hours of podcasts a week.
If you aren’t already listening to podcasts, why not try it and see what you think?
Our Recommendations for the Best Marketing Podcasts
Marketing podcasts aren’t even in the Top 5 favorite genres. Business podcasts come in at No. 6. Still, it’s probably no surprise that we think marketing podcasts are amazing. Here are the leadership team’s favorites.
Jenna Kutcher gives major inspirational vibes. Her business and marketing podcast, Goal Digger, says it all. If Jenna set out to do it, she’s done it. And she’s willing to share the good, bad, and ugly of her experiences so you can learn from her. And, of course, we love seeing a woman succeed in work and life!
Oh, and if you haven’t read Jenna’s new book, “How Are You Really?: Living Your Truth One Answer at a Time,” check it out. It helps you consider your goals, not just go after any shiny object that comes your way.
Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield
We love Amy Porterfield, and her Online Marketing Made Easy podcast! Amy left the corporate world years ago to start her online business, teaching about marketing. She focuses on email campaigns, list building, and online courses while she teaches you how to build and grow your business and still have a life of your own.
One thing about Amy is that you can see the things she’s done and know she’s speaking from experience. For example, she teaches about successful online courses while hosting best-selling courses online.
In some of the best podcast episodes, Amy gets personal, telling stories about her move to Nashville, challenges as a business owner, marriage to Hoby, and raising their son and dog.
Talk Copy to Me
We’re newer to this podcast, but Erin Ollila makes a big impression with the Talk Copy to Me podcast. She talks practically about copyrighting and all of the copy you need to run a successful business. But Erin’s podcast isn’t “put a comma here” or even “this is how to write this better.” Instead, it’s about things like how copy is part of your business process and how to set up your own website rules.
The Copyblogger Podcast
We know that podcasts about writing probably don’t sound super sexy, but there are some excellent ones out there. The Copyblogger Podcast is such a great way to learn about content marketing, including email marketing and copywriting.
The best thing a podcast (or any type of learning) can do is give you tips, tricks, or steps that you can take immediately to improve. Copyblogger hosts Tim Stoddart and Ethan Brooks do just that.
The DigitalMarketer Podcast
Talk about expertise! The DigitalMarketer podcast is a weekly show hosted by Mark de Grasse where he and an expert or influencer in a specific marketing space discuss something happening in the industry. This podcast has more of a “current events” focus than the others on our list and dives deeply into industry happenings with the people who know best what’s going on.
Give Us Your Recs!
We admit to having an abundance of podcast subscriptions among us, and we try to share the best of what we’re listening to with each other. We hope you find something on this list of marketing podcasts to subscribe to. Are there other marketing podcasts we’re missing out by not listening to them? Send us a recommendation!